ETEX is an IIT Delhi start-up for designing and developing smart textile solutions for healthcare. Considering unprecedented challenges in supply of PPEs during the COVID-19 crisis, ETEX has launched an affordable and effective face mask, KAWACH, for protecting and safeguarding people from the risk of COVID-19.
The product efficiency is backed with the strong technical inputs from the core textile team in the Department of Textile and Fibre Engineering, IIT Delhi.
The cost of N95 mask used for the protection against Covid-19 in the Indian market is quite high, making it unaffordable for the masses. People are using surgical masks also but due to loose-fitting of such masks, not securing proper cover around the nose and mouth; this may allow COVID-19 virus to enter or leave from the side edges. Furthermore, the use of sewn cloth face covering or handkerchief is useful only to an extent, not providing sufficient protection due to absence of nonwoven layer.
KAWACH mask is at par with N95 in terms of proper fitting, and engineered filtration layer that could provide up to 98% filtration efficiency (3 micron size particle; ASTM F 2101). The mask price is kept affordable (below Rs.45) so that it can reach masses for enhanced protection.
Prof. Bipin Kumar, Textile and Fiber Engineering Dept., IIT Delhi said, “India has several massive challenges ahead – disposal of PPEs (including mask and coveralls) after one time use and ensuring the minimum use of nonwoven technology for making PPEs. Though a nonwoven layer is must for ensuring desired filtration level but the loose fibrous structure make the product disposable after one use. Disposing of synthetic polypropylene nonwoven could have a detrimental effect on environment. Finding other textile solution that offers reusability, biodegradability, affordability and scalability for PPEs is the need of hour; this could ensure meeting both the demand and also safeguarding our environment.”
He added, “Development of KAWACH mask is a result of our indigenous manufacturing capabilities.”
Further, the team is also working on new prototype designs for mask to make it washable and reusable for at least 10 times. This could be a game changing solution for COVID-19 crisis for protecting a massive population of our country in the most economical and effective way. The team is also exploring other textile technologies for developing coveralls. The start-up is seeking funding support from DST, BIRAC, Corporate CSR, etc. to scale up.
For more information please visit: www.etex.in
PRODUCT DETAILS AND FEATURES
- Engineered Multilayer Textile Solution against COVID 19 and pollution
- Enhanced filtration efficiency (98%) against 3 Micron size particles
- Secure 3D fit design at par with N95
- Comfortable inner knit layer for improved compliance
- Adjustable & universal fit, lightweight & soft elastic earloop for extra comfort
- Easy donning and doffing
- Maximum face covering for protection
- Ultrasoft fibrous material
TESTING & CERTIFICATION
- Filtration layer is tested and approved by government of India labs (SITRA) for 98% Bacterial filtration efficiency (ASTM F 2101)
- Fabric physical properties have been tested and verified as per ASTM standards from the experts from the Department of Textile and Fiber Engineering, IIT Delhi
- Store away from sunlight in a dry place
- In case of breathing difficulty, change the mask
- For individual use, not to be shared
- Should be washed properly using warm water and left to hang and air dry before disposing
3,208 total views, 2 views today